Monday, November 06, 2006

 
October 30, 2006. This is the day that will be a testimony to all mamas who think they're children will surely be lost causes without them by not being with them eight or more hours a day. On this day my 2 and half year old son Dahvi , donning his Winnie The Pooh backpack took a giant leap from his father's side into daycare. He immediately grabbed his new teacher's leg and barely caught his father's voice in the near distance inquiring about a kiss or bye. But he got the message and proceeded to poke his lips in the direction of his ole man enough for him to receive the goodbye peck. My husband's heartfelt "Have a Good Day, I love you " was a faint echo as a my son skipped into his new land of colored walls, plush carpeting, other little people, miniture chairs, books and the ultimate boxes and crates overflowing with toys. My husband called me to tell me about Dahvi's reaction. I half laughed and half whimpered. After spending 350 something days of the year with yours truly, it was about time. My son needed to be around other kids on a more regular basis. I was a stay at home mom but not by choice. I immedietly became unemployed and my sitter retired at the same time. All the daycares we could afford were filled to capacity or had 2 year waiting lists. In between searching for a job, interviewing, rewriting my resume and searching for more jobs, I took care of Dahvi. I loved being home with my son but I knew I needed to work to help support our family. Such is life in a gentrified, expensive place like DC. And my other mamafriends were at work so playdates didn't exist. And groups like MochaMoms and the like weren't my type of thing. Yet it wasn't hard in the beginning to entertain my son. But later on running errands, trying on clothes, grocery shopping were getting tiresome. Staying at home is ideal situation to me but in my current situation its not realistic. We're not the type of family who spends frivously nor live beyond our means. We want the same things as most families such as a safe home, better than average education and good health. As we try to change and make our lives better for our children's future, we undestand and are willing to sacrifice. I enjoyed every moment my son and I had together each day and I equally adore every moment without him. I'm glad he's left the nest but I'm also glad he knows where it is. And I'm glad to know he's in a great educational facility smoozing with other genius 2 and half year olds.

PS. After my son's first day, his teacher asked if she could put him in the 3-4 year old class. "Umm he's very advanced and can pee on his own, she said"
" Well yeah" I said. " I mean can he get a job.

Comments:
Love your blog- wait a minute, I got something to add.... but these children won't let me get a minute. I'll hit ya at 4AM when everyone's sleep!
 
Love your blog- wait a minute, I got something to add.... but these children won't let me get a minute. I'll hit ya at 4AM when everyone's sleep!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?