Monday, May 21, 2007

 
Oh Where oh Where to Dwell??


I've been living in DC for twelve years now. I've seen a lot of things. When I lived in NW, I saw someone get shot on my street. It was late in the evening and I lived on the 2nd floor in a huge brownstone. that was by far the best apartment I rented. My roommate at the time was well I'll never blog that one. Anywho I've lived all over the city except in SW. My first apartment was in Southeast off of Central Ave. I used to catch the bus on the corner near my house to the metro station. There were times I would even walk home from the Metro. I was a young single woman working full-time and chilling. My apartment wasn't the safest. It was actually in front of some abandoned buildings. During my whole time living there, I was never bothered, robbed or hurt. And I would hear shots on a regular and read about my own neighborhood crime reports. And nothing ever happened to me or my neighbors. I know all the sterotypes that are placed on DC residents etc. I go a little more universal than that. I look at it as a city thing. In the city there tends to be more crime due to poverty, lack of jobs, education etc, gentrification etc etc on and on. I'm aware of all that yet still when crime happens to you all that goes out the window. Fortunately no one was hurt etc but you have to think "what if". It's never cool going down that road but naturally can't help it. For my children's sake and my own sanity, I feel a move out of DC may be best.
Tis sad. I love my current neighborhood. All our neighbors are extremly friendly and watch out for each other. My husband and I have taken walks through our hood and seen some beautiful houses and met people who are really into community activism. We actually saw some property for sale. And we're very aware of what the dc govt plans are for our neighborhood. So of course it would be in our best intrest to buy in now. It's not this one incident that has bought me to this decision. It's on top of a heap of other things. (check the prior country blogs) THis is what i know I want out of my hood. I need heat. I don't mind mild winters. I can't do a lot of snow and freezing. And I'm a winter baby. I need land. Lots of land. But I need museums and culture. I need diversity. I don't like too many of the same type of people be it all elderly or all housewives. Mix it up a bit. I'm leaning toward the west coast. It's a bit costly. Arizona maybe. Or New Mexico. I think I'm ready to tap into my hippy ways. So keep us in prayer as we decide where we will plant ourselves.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?